Paws Fur The Planet Pet Eco Challenge
Have you considered the environmental footprint of your fur friends?
Whether you are on Team Meow or Team Woof (or both!), you can take action to help your fur friends minimize their environmental impact.
Join our Paws Fur The Planet Pet Challenge!
Pets create many of the same environmental harms as pet parents based on their lifestyle habits. This includes:
- Plastic Pollution
- Biodiversity Loss
- Increased Carbon Emissions
- Water Pollution
- Land Degradation
- Waste Going to Landfills
We’ve created a brand new eco-challenge for the dog (or cat ) days of summer!
We want YOU to take part in our Paws Fur The Planet Challenge during the month of August to help improve the environmental paw-print of your beloved pets!
Here’s how you can participate:
Use Our Challenge Graphics if you are on Team Woof or Team Meow (or both!)
- Pause and reconsider each action for your pet. Seek the eco-friendly alternative!
- Share a photo of your Green Actions & tag @randomactsofgreen
Share this challenge, or TAG your favourite pals with fur friends to join you!
Pledge to participate to get access to our social graphics and knowledge and support throughout the challenge!
Environmental Impact Of Dogs
- Carbon dioxide emissions – In the US, pets produce 5.1 million tons of feces-the same amount of feces as 90 million humans each year. Transporting and processing this waste creates a massive carbon dioxide output (Jiminy’s, 2021).
- Land usage – Approximately 49 million hectares of land is needed to produce meat products used in pet food.
- Habitat degradation – Annually an average of 11kg of nitrogen a hectare and 5kg of phosphorus is excreted by dogs, which is similar level of pollution created by farming, industry and traffic fumes.
Environmental Impact Of Cats
- Soil Erosion – Clay cat litter manufacturing uses mined materials, and the excavation process is extremely harmful to the environment. It also is not biodegradable, meaning it sits in landfills forever (Natusan, 2020).
- Biodiversity Loss – It is estimated that approximately 2.6 billion birds are killed annually in Canada and the US by cats.
While this information is:
. overwhelming; . scary; . daunting; and horrifying …
we CAN do something to help our fur friends make a change.
We want to help YOU take action. Start by implementing some small changes to your purchasing habits this year. Simple switches here-and-there can make all the difference.
Engage your team with our Paws Fur The Planet Employee Engagement Guide. Get it now for free!
Employee Engagement Guide
Luckily, there are actions we can all take to combat these issues.
By joining the Random Acts of Green sustainability alliance, you can take part in collective climate action.
Because together -we are stronger.
We want to know:
Will you join the Paws Fur The Planet Pet Challenge this year?