Welcoming Brooks Wine to the Random Acts of Green Community
Based in the Amity, Oregon, Brooks is the ONLY vineyard and winery in the US that is a certified B-Corporation, a member of 1% For the Planet, AND is Demeter Biodynamic certified.
But what does it mean to be a biodynamic vineyard? Biodynamic farming embraces a holistic, ecological, and ethical approach to tending the land.
How does Brooks Wine embrace this method of land stewardship?
– Brooks sets aside a dedicated area of land as a biodiversity reserve, including land for insectaries, hedgerows, flowering cover crops, and perennial plantings along fence lines, roadways, and wildlife corridors.
– The Brooks team focuses on the land’s natural resources.
– They have eliminated the use of chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, and fungicides.
– Brooks encourages a self-sustaining vineyard with a self-sustaining habitat that can protect the vines and allow them to produce higher-quality fruit.
– They use nine preparations made from herbs, mineral substances, and animal manures that improve the health of the soil and plants, thereby producing incredible fruit. A compost pile is maintained on-site, and the plants needed are grown by the Brooks team to make as many of the preparations as possible.
– The energies of the lunar cycle are followed, dictating when action is taken (and when it’s not!) in the vineyard and winery.
– The vineyard is also dry farmed and has no irrigation, so water conservation is at optimal levels.
Events at the winery and vineyard include: an Elevated Tasting Tour, a Garden and Vineyard Walking Tour, and a Tasting Room Experience, which features delicious eats and complimentary wines.
We’re thrilled to be welcoming this magical winery and vineyard to our business member community!