Too Many Tomatoes?
Nothing is better than seeing the fruits (and vegetables!) of your labour in a home garden. If you grow your own tomatoes, you know how flavourful they can be and just how many tomatoes your plants can produce!
Some tomatoes last year in my little backyard garden:
Whether you’re looking for a recipe for your garden tomatoes or have a few grocery store ones past their prime in your fridge, this recipe is a great way to use a lot up!
This soup is vegetarian but can be made vegan and is easily doubled or tripled depending on your bounty. If you want to make this recipe later in the year, dice up your tomatoes and freeze them for later!
½ of a small onion
3 cloves of garlic
8 large tomatoes
10 basil leaves
1 jar of sundried tomatoes in oil
1 tbsp butter or margarine
2 cups of 10% cream
Salt and pepper to taste
You’ll also need:
A way to blend the soup. If you don’t have a blender (hand blender or otherwise) cut everything up as small as possible (especially the sundried tomatoes) and mash the mixture well at the end.
- Finely chop the garlic and onions and add them to your pot with a small amount of the oil from the sundried tomatoes jar (2- 4 tbsp as needed). Sauté until soft but not browned.
2. Dice the tomatoes and make sure to get as much of the tomato juice in the pot as possible when you add them.
3. Bruise the basil leaves by folding them multiple times. Try to not get too much of that basil goodness on your hands instead of in the pot. Next, scoop the sundried tomatoes in, leaving the excess oil behind in the jar.
TIP: Save this delicious oil for cooking later! This is how much was left for me – Yum!
4. Cook on medium heat. Covering your pot will speed this up but be sure to stir occasionally. Blend the mixture in the pot using a hand blender OR cool the mixture and blend in portions in a regular blender.
If you’d like your soup to be vegan, you can stop here or sub in some creamy vegan ingredients
5. Add butter or margarine and cream.
Mix well and add salt and pepper to your liking.
Voila! A delicious and hardy soup.
TIP: Save your scraps! Onion and garlic ends and skin, tomato tops, and basil stems are all delicious ingredients to add when making vegetable stock. Save these in the freezer until you have enough to make a batch.